Monday, November 28, 2011

Milestones

I wish I had recorded the milestones.  I did not.  As a parent of a child with delays I grew tired of the competition of whose child was doing what first.  I do not believe that milestones coordinate with a persons success, intelligence, or happiness.  Also I am really tired of people apologizing to me for my sons delays.  Raising a child with delays is not a lesser experience, just a different one.  He did everything in his own time.

I am posting this approximate timeline in hopes that it might be a resource for other families who have a young children diagnosed with PTEN deletions.    

Teeth -
Our son got his first tooth at 3 months.  By the time he was a year old he had all of his baby teeth.  At the age of 4 he is now getting his 6 year old molars.

Sitting-
I can't remember I think around 7 months.

Crawling -
He never crawled.  Instead he scooted around in the sitting position until he learned to walk.

Walking -
Started walking around 18 months.

Talking-
We thought he started at 7 months.  For a week he said Dada, but then he went quiet.  He didn't really talk much after that until a few months after his 2nd Birthday.  I'm not sure if this is PTEN related or because of his multiple ear infections.
_____

At the age of 4 he is still not able to run or jump.  He can walk very fast.  He also struggles with fine and gross motor skills.  Feeding himself and dressing himself is still very difficult, but he is always progressing.  All he wants is to play with the other kids.  He longs to ride his bike and run and jump like the other children.  It amazes me that he can face this kind of disappointment daily and stay so positive.  He has an amazing self confidence that tells him anything is possible.  He believes in himself and never gives up.  I am so proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment